Our April meeting was addressed by Paul Money, who gave us a lively talk about his favourite Images of the Universe volume 1. He introduced 10 images and gave an interesting insight into each one. These included diverse topics such as:
- The Pillars of Creation which infrared shows will have been overtaken by a huge gas cloud from a nearby supernova by now.
- A video of an astronaut using a rocket pack for an untethered flight in space.
- The iconic image of Saturn backlit by the sun with Earth visible as an insignificant pale blue dot.
- Amazing detail of the Tarantula Nebulae in the large Magellanic Cloud seen from the southern hemisphere.
- The rock strewn surface of Mars with one of the rover’s wheels visible to give some scale.
- Not forgetting Io’s volcanism, the Pleiades, and the Orion Nebula.
Paul is currently working on Images of the Universe 5 so we look forward to welcoming him back for the other volumes.